The Crested Gecko Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Crested Gecko Forum
The Crested Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what have you kept over your years as a herper?

+3
x_firefly_x
xvickyx
ginnerone
7 posters

Go down

what have you kept over your years as a herper? Empty what have you kept over your years as a herper?

Post by ginnerone Mon May 17, 2010 12:23 pm

exactly as it says on the tin, what have you kept over the years that you've been keeping herps, as i've been at it for many many years (about 15) AND i'm lucky enough to help out at the local pet shop come rescue centre i have had the opertunity to work and keep a large spectrum of reptiles, i won't list everything i have rescued and housed temp as favours for the local as the list is way too long so i'll just put down what i have had as pets and consider myself as experinced with.

Tokays
crestys
leos
beardies
sun gazers
boscs
chams
white spotted geckos
corn snakes
mexican king snakes
rough green tree snakes

The list of stuff i have housed as favours or rescued is endless and i can provide housing and husbandry info on just about anything should you need any help with owt but thats for a different thread lmfao.

SO what have ya kept? lets see your list
ginnerone
ginnerone

My Points : 53

Back to top Go down

what have you kept over your years as a herper? Empty Re: what have you kept over your years as a herper?

Post by xvickyx Mon May 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Thats an impressive list there Shocked

All I have kept is what I have now bounce

3 corns
1 royal python
3 crested geckos

I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you
xvickyx
xvickyx
Admin
Admin

My Points : 500

http://www.vickyexotics.webs.com

Back to top Go down

what have you kept over your years as a herper? Empty Re: what have you kept over your years as a herper?

Post by x_firefly_x Tue May 18, 2010 4:50 am

That is indeed one impressive list!

I've kept so far:

Blue tongued skink
Royal python
Corn snakes
Crested geckos
Gargoyle geckos

Thats just herp wise, have kept various exotic mammals to Smile
x_firefly_x
x_firefly_x
Gargoyle
Gargoyle

My Points : 213

Back to top Go down

Post by x_firefly_x Tue May 18, 2010 4:57 am

ginnerone wrote:exactly as it says on the tin, what have you kept over the years that you've been keeping herps, as i've been at it for many many years (about 15) AND i'm lucky enough to help out at the local pet shop come rescue centre i have had the opertunity to work and keep a large spectrum of reptiles, i won't list everything i have rescued and housed temp as favours for the local as the list is way too long so i'll just put down what i have had as pets and consider myself as experinced with.

Tokays
crestys
leos
beardies
sun gazers
boscs
chams
white spotted geckos
corn snakes
mexican king snakes
rough green tree snakes

The list of stuff i have housed as favours or rescued is endless and i can provide housing and husbandry info on just about anything should you need any help with owt but thats for a different thread lmfao.

SO what have ya kept? lets see your list

Was wondering what your personal recommendation for housing for boscs would be? I'm planning on getting one in maybe a year or two once me and the OH are in our own house and not rented accommodation (I figure its never too early to start researching lol!) and I've been reading endless numbers of caresheets but they ALL seem to conflict each other over housing requirements, getting everything from various size vivs to actually turning an entire room into a viv, its all a little confusing what have you kept over your years as a herper? Icon_scratch
x_firefly_x
x_firefly_x
Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjaaa23 Tue May 18, 2010 2:27 pm

erm bearded dragon
crestys and mourning geckos

i do have a crap load of spids though but would need several pages to name them all lMAO
ninjaaa23
ninjaaa23
Gargoyle
Gargoyle

My Points : 211

Back to top Go down

Post by rob2278 Tue May 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Green Anoles
Leopard Geckos
Chamelons
Crested Geckos

rob2278
Leopard
Leopard

My Points : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by ginnerone Wed May 19, 2010 2:30 pm

x_firefly_x wrote:Was wondering what your personal recommendation for housing for boscs would be? I'm planning on getting one in maybe a year or two once me and the OH are in our own house and not rented accommodation (I figure its never too early to start researching lol!) and I've been reading endless numbers of caresheets but they ALL seem to conflict each other over housing requirements, getting everything from various size vivs to actually turning an entire room into a viv, its all a little confusing what have you kept over your years as a herper? Icon_scratch

you'll need a minimum of a 4ft long x about 2ft tall and 2ft deep, top soil and playsand mix is a great substate and if you lay it about 6 inch deep and bury a length of drain pipe in the middle with both ends exposed they'll love ya forever lmfao, nice basking spot of about 120*F with an old tree stump or branch for them to lay on and thats pretty much it, they like it simples so they can chill and as little effort as possible for hunting, mainly insectivorous diet to keep them fit with mice maybe once a fortnight or every three weeks as an adult as they can develope fatty liver diesese, will that do?

A nice wide veriety of animals being kept by everyone though, apart from ninja with his creepy peter parker thingys lmfao
ginnerone
ginnerone

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjaaa23 Wed May 19, 2010 2:37 pm

ginnerone wrote:
x_firefly_x wrote:Was wondering what your personal recommendation for housing for boscs would be? I'm planning on getting one in maybe a year or two once me and the OH are in our own house and not rented accommodation (I figure its never too early to start researching lol!) and I've been reading endless numbers of caresheets but they ALL seem to conflict each other over housing requirements, getting everything from various size vivs to actually turning an entire room into a viv, its all a little confusing what have you kept over your years as a herper? Icon_scratch

you'll need a minimum of a 4ft long x about 2ft tall and 2ft deep, top soil and playsand mix is a great substate and if you lay it about 6 inch deep and bury a length of drain pipe in the middle with both ends exposed they'll love ya forever lmfao, nice basking spot of about 120*F with an old tree stump or branch for them to lay on and thats pretty much it, they like it simples so they can chill and as little effort as possible for hunting, mainly insectivorous diet to keep them fit with mice maybe once a fortnight or every three weeks as an adult as they can develope fatty liver diesese, will that do?

A nice wide veriety of animals being kept by everyone though, apart from ninja with his creepy peter parker thingys lmfao

i presume you meant 8ft gin

hey spiders are amazing what have you kept over your years as a herper? Alien
ninjaaa23
ninjaaa23
Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Back to top Go down

Post by xvickyx Wed May 19, 2010 3:24 pm

What spids do you have?

I am creeped out by them, but find them facisinating at the same time, if that makes any sense Wink
xvickyx
xvickyx
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjaaa23 Wed May 19, 2010 3:54 pm

xvickyx wrote:What spids do you have?

I am creeped out by them, but find them facisinating at the same time, if that makes any sense Wink

yep that makes sense most people who think that way end up getting one;)
you shouldnt have asked lol
B.Smithi
P.Irminia
P.Fermosa
P.Regalis
P.Fascinata
2x A.Geniculata
4x T.Gigas
T.Purpurae
H.Mac
H.Lividium
Avic.P
Avic.Versi
Avic "unknown"
Purple starburst "unknown"
GBB
C.Fasciatum
E.Murinus
P.Lugardi
False Widows
Jumping Spiders
Giant orb weaver
Fishing Spider
Orange hunstman "unknown" (gulp)
2x Giant hunstman "unknown" (Gulp)
C.salei Wandering Spider
4 x Yamia spc.
H.Gigas

and an emp scorp called pinchy

G.Rosea
G.Pulchra
P.Cambridgae
C.Shiodeti
2x OBTS
ninjaaa23
ninjaaa23
Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Back to top Go down

Post by x_firefly_x Wed May 19, 2010 4:22 pm

A nice wide veriety of animals being kept by everyone though, apart from ninja with his creepy peter parker thingys lmfao[/quote]

Thats awesome, thanks!! I think whenever I finally manage to get my own house I'll just give it its own room and have a viv along one or two walls or something...I'm going to have fun planning for this Very Happy hehe the tube things reminds me of my duprasi, I have a load of rattie toys and crap for her to climb on/chew and play with, she spends half her time in a tube I buried in the substrate with just the ends poking up and the rest of the time in her wheel lol.
x_firefly_x
x_firefly_x
Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Back to top Go down

Post by x_firefly_x Wed May 19, 2010 4:27 pm

ninjaaa23 wrote:

B.Smithi
P.Irminia
P.Fermosa
P.Regalis
P.Fascinata
2x A.Geniculata
4x T.Gigas
T.Purpurae
H.Mac
H.Lividium
Avic.P
Avic.Versi
Avic "unknown"
GBB
C.Fasciatum
E.Murinus
P.Lugardi
False Widows
Jumping Spiders
Giant orb weaver
Fishing Spider
C.salei Wandering Spider
4 x Yamia spc.
H.Gigas

G.Rosea
G.Pulchra
P.Cambridgae
C.Shiodeti
2x OBTS

Oh dear god so many spiders!! As may be apparent I have "issues" with anything with more than 4 legs, but especially spiders. Strangely I think they are amazing critters and I'm quite happy to sit and watch them wander round if there is a pane of glass between us...however, I come face to face with one in the house, all hell breaks loose. Not so bad in liverpool but when I'm at home in the lakes the house spiders there are HUGE. *shudders*. I'm quite happy to watch them when outside though...I think mainly as I have space in which to keep a decent distance what have you kept over your years as a herper? Lol

Out of curiosity is the "Purple starburst" in any way purple? I have an obsession with anything and everything purple...Very Happy

And pinchy the scorp...named after pinchy in the simpsons by any chance? lol
x_firefly_x
x_firefly_x
Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjaaa23 Wed May 19, 2010 4:36 pm

x_firefly_x wrote:
ninjaaa23 wrote:

B.Smithi
P.Irminia
P.Fermosa
P.Regalis
P.Fascinata
2x A.Geniculata
4x T.Gigas
T.Purpurae
H.Mac
H.Lividium
Avic.P
Avic.Versi
Avic "unknown"
GBB
C.Fasciatum
E.Murinus
P.Lugardi
False Widows
Jumping Spiders
Giant orb weaver
Fishing Spider
C.salei Wandering Spider
4 x Yamia spc.
H.Gigas

G.Rosea
G.Pulchra
P.Cambridgae
C.Shiodeti
2x OBTS

Oh dear god so many spiders!! As may be apparent I have "issues" with anything with more than 4 legs, but especially spiders. Strangely I think they are amazing critters and I'm quite happy to sit and watch them wander round if there is a pane of glass between us...however, I come face to face with one in the house, all hell breaks loose. Not so bad in liverpool but when I'm at home in the lakes the house spiders there are HUGE. *shudders*. I'm quite happy to watch them when outside though...I think mainly as I have space in which to keep a decent distance what have you kept over your years as a herper? Lol

Out of curiosity is the "Purple starburst" in any way purple? I have an obsession with anything and everything purple...Very Happy

And pinchy the scorp...named after pinchy in the simpsons by any chance? lol
yep to pinchy lol
and yep to the purple i have a few purple spiders as well as orange and also BLUE
what have you kept over your years as a herper? P_sp_Ecuador_Pair
ninjaaa23
ninjaaa23
Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Back to top Go down

Post by x_firefly_x Wed May 19, 2010 5:04 pm

yep to pinchy lol
and yep to the purple i have a few purple spiders as well as orange and also BLUE
what have you kept over your years as a herper? P_sp_Ecuador_Pair[/quote]

OMG that spider is AMAZING.....half of me wants one and the other half just freaks out at the thought lol! Maybe one day I'll get over "the fear" lol
x_firefly_x
x_firefly_x
Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjaaa23 Wed May 19, 2010 5:34 pm

x_firefly_x wrote:yep to pinchy lol

OMG that spider is AMAZING.....half of me wants one and the other half just freaks out at the thought lol! Maybe one day I'll get over "the fear" lol[/quote]

i may be a tad bit bias but i say go for it what have you kept over your years as a herper? Icon_bounce
ninjaaa23
ninjaaa23
Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Back to top Go down

Post by x_firefly_x Wed May 19, 2010 5:39 pm

hehe just SLIGHTLY biased what have you kept over your years as a herper? Lol Somehow it being purple makes it a hell of a lot less scary
x_firefly_x
x_firefly_x
Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjaaa23 Wed May 19, 2010 7:26 pm

there was me thinking a bosc required a 8ftx3ftx3ft viv what have you kept over your years as a herper? Icon_smile
ninjaaa23
ninjaaa23
Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Back to top Go down

Post by ginnerone Tue May 25, 2010 12:28 am

not whilst they are young and probably not till they are about 2yrs old, you do realise that they are only between 6-10 inch long for the first 6 months of their life, could you imagine trying to find a lizard that size in a 8ft viv! which is why is said they will need a 4ft viv.
they will not need a huge viv for 18mths to 2 yrs and even then an adult will live comfortably in a 6ft x3ft x3ft.
what have you kept over your years as a herper? Lizard114
ginnerone
ginnerone

Back to top Go down

Post by xvickyx Tue May 25, 2010 2:26 am

x_firefly_x wrote:yep to pinchy lol

OMG that spider is AMAZING.....half of me wants one and the other half just freaks out at the thought lol! Maybe one day I'll get over "the fear" lol[/quote]

WOW I am loving the purple what have you kept over your years as a herper? Herz very pretty
xvickyx
xvickyx
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by xvickyx Tue May 25, 2010 2:27 am

ginnerone wrote:not whilst they are young and probably not till they are about 2yrs old, you do realise that they are only between 6-10 inch long for the first 6 months of their life, could you imagine trying to find a lizard that size in a 8ft viv! which is why is said they will need a 4ft viv.
they will not need a huge viv for 18mths to 2 yrs and even then an adult will live comfortably in a 6ft x3ft x3ft.

Awwww baby bosc so cute what have you kept over your years as a herper? Herz
xvickyx
xvickyx
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by viperd Tue May 25, 2010 10:56 am

xvickyx wrote:
ginnerone wrote:not whilst they are young and probably not till they are about 2yrs old, you do realise that they are only between 6-10 inch long for the first 6 months of their life, could you imagine trying to find a lizard that size in a 8ft viv! which is why is said they will need a 4ft viv.

Awwww baby bosc so cute what have you kept over your years as a herper? Herz

Aint they just, theres one for sale near me and he's tiny but a real cutie, AND he's so lovely and TAME which is strange for babys, he walks straight on your hand looking for food, he aint shy. He's about the same size as the one in that pic.
viperd
viperd
Leopard
Leopard

My Points : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by sarasin Wed May 26, 2010 1:17 pm

Apart from the ones I put on the thread 'what other reps do you keep'
I have in the past kept
Uroplatus Henkeli
U Sikorae
U Phanasticus
U Ebenui
U Lineatus
Aeluroscalabotes felinus (cat geckos)
Cyrtodactylus Irianjayensis (bow fingered gecko)
Teratoscincus scincus keyserlingii (giant frog eyed gecko)
Paroedura Pictus
Paroedura Bastardi
Leopard Geckos
Tokay Geckos
Pink Tongue Skinks
Tribolonotus Graclis (crocodile skinks)
Gehyra Marginata
Pygmy Chameleons - Brookesia and Rhampholeon
Percivals Skinks
Burtons Legless Lizards
Sheltopusik (European Legless Lizard)
Corn Snakes
Royal Pythons
Pastel Boas
Trinket Snakes
sarasin
sarasin
Leopard
Leopard

My Points : 59

http://www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by x_firefly_x Thu May 27, 2010 5:16 am

Gah you put a pic of a baby one up damn you what have you kept over your years as a herper? Lol what have you kept over your years as a herper? Lol every time I see pics it just makes me want one more!! If only someone would get the hell on with making a time machine so I can fast forward to the point where I has a job and house...

I LOVE how tiny they are when little, its amazing looking at them that size and thinking how big they'll get! I agree, trying to find a baby bosc in an 8ft viv would be a complete nightmare! Have enough trouble as it is trying to find my cresties in their exo's lol.
x_firefly_x
x_firefly_x
Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Back to top Go down

Post by ginnerone Thu May 27, 2010 10:30 am

yeah, they are uba cute as babies although they can reach 3-4ft long althought its rare they reach 4ft but its safe to be prepared, a 6ft by 3ft by 3ft will be fine for an adult and its usually cheaper to make a viv rather than buy one for monitors as they tend to climb out/destroy the sides of normal factory built ones.
ginnerone
ginnerone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum