The Crested Gecko Forum

NEW TO CRESTIES: Advice? VERY NERVOUS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NEW TO CRESTIES: Advice? VERY NERVOUS

Post by PinkGecko on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:53 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm PinkGecko and I am new to dealing with Reptiles.
So I work at Petco and We have a few Crested Gecko's for sale. I started doing research on them and I found that they fit my home requirements.
I was looking for a Docile reptile that requires little to no insect feeding. I stumbled upon the lovely Crested Gecko and instantly fell in love with it.
I was looking through a lot of different care sheets about them and they all sound great but i am unsure of what steps to follow. I see a lot of people who breed them, sort of do there own thing. For example; Some people feed their Cresties "Crested Gecko Diet" Some do a mixture of insects and the diet.
Some people prefer a different brand over others.. it's all so confusing. I saw some really amazing set-ups for these Reptiles...and again I am confused.
I want to avoid my Crestie becoming sick at all means. For starters I don;t know how easy it would be to find a veterinarian that deals with small animals/Reptiles.
So If anyone could tell me the Basics I need to keep these guys alive,happy and healthy I would really appreciate it.
Some questions I have are:

What size Setup? Tank or Tall cage?
What Brand of Food? Can I strictly do the Crested Gecko Diet? It's supposed to have everything the Gecko needs right?
How much water is needed?
Lighting/Heating?
Handling do's and don't?
how often to bath? If needed?
How do I handle the Humidity of the tank without over moisturizing or over drying?

Thank you. Please help me out?

PinkGecko

My Points : 3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NEW TO CRESTIES: Advice? VERY NERVOUS

Post by M4U5H on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:43 am

I'm quite new to cresties myself. I bought my first one (from Petco!) on the 29th and I fell in love with them, so I went to the Midwest Reptile Show this past Sunday and bought myself a baby Very Happy It's only been a couple of weeks, but I'm sure I collectively have well over 48 hours of research on caring for, and a little on breeding, these beautiful animals. I'll do my best to help you out, but two sources is better than one. Feel free to look into all this and correct me where I'm wrong

Crested Geckos are adept climbers; prioritizing height over ground space is a necessity in housing a happy cresty. Glass or screen is dependent on your environment. I live in a state that has fair weather (cold at the moment -__-), so I have no problem keeping the temperature right with a glass tank. It locks in the heat and humidity. Others may prefer a screen enclosure, though; because where they live, temperatures may climb above 80. That's too hot for a cresty; it stresses them out. High 60s to mid 70s at night, and low to high 70s during the day seems to be ideal for Cresteds. Heating pads can burn their somewhat delicate skin, and they don't need a basking spot. Personally, the only heating I use is to simulate the time of the day when the sun is at it's highest point, and it's a low-wattage nightlight. They don't need UVB to metabolize calcium, so technically, they could live in the dark their entire life

Little to no heating also helps with the humidity, which should stay above 50% as much as possible. I simply mist with a spray bottle 3-4 times a day as needed. This is how they drink as well; a nice water dish can be aesthetically pleasing and aids to keep the humidity up, but my adult never drinks from his, and my baby does well on droplets 1/3 the size of it's head Wink Just make sure they can't completely submerge themselves in it and possibly drown. If you don't want to feed it insects, Repashy Crested Gecko Diet is definitely the way to go. It provides everything a healthy gecko needs. If you want to feed it a cricket or two for a thrill; though, you'll want to calcium dust it so it gets all it's necessities from the treat.

Handling dos and don'ts? Don't pinch it's tail or legs/feet. They have a prehensile tail that they can use quite well, so I hate to see one get dropped. I barely handle my baby (that's just to tame her) and never let anyone else. My adult, I wouldn't let a child hold, or anyone skittish about quick reptiles. They can be jumpy and scurry away quite fast on flat surfaces. And they don't stink, so bathing isn't necessary, and may only serve to stress or injure it

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. I have to go to work, but I just joined this site as well, so I may have some questions myself!

M4U5H

My Points : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top