The Crested Gecko Forum

Changing Colors and the meaning?

Go down

Changing Colors and the meaning?

Post by s.iker on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:05 pm

My cresties turn white sometimes, and it scares me cause they normally are a brown and light tan color.. what does it mean when they go white?
s.iker

My Points : 3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing Colors and the meaning?

Post by toadali on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:30 pm

It's nothing to worry about. These guys can just change colour a little bit. Also, when they turn a light grey/white it might just be because they are about to shed. (You should avoid playing with reptiles around shed.) I haven't looked it up in a while but I noticed the colour changes in my cresty a looked into it. At the time what I found was that we don't currently know exactly why they change - but it seems pretty obvious to me that mine's darker during the day and brighter at night. (Probably so they can blend into trees during the day and maybe see each other better at night, or save energy?) Anyway, I also noticed that when she fell asleep in a place near UV exposure and her foot was in front of her body the stencil of the hand was left on her body after as if the rest of her body changed in the light. I think the foot pattern was darker but it has not happened in a while. Anyway, I don't think you need to worry about this.

toadali

My Points : 6

View user profile

Back to top Go down